Wiltshire man sentenced to 300 hours community service over faulty gas work
Category: All Articles
A Wiltshire man has been prosecuted for illegally carrying out gas work at a neighbour's home which could have put them at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Graham Nicholls, 66, who was not registered as a gas installer with CORGI (see notes to editors), incorrectly fitted a flue to his neighbour's LPG boiler leaving the potential for an explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mr Nicholls was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after his deception came to light when he said he was unable to fill in the necessary paperwork - a benchmark book, to indicate who had installed the flue, and a building compliance certificate - after carrying out work in Corsham, Wiltshire, between February and March 2009.
Chippenham Magistrates' Court heard how a Gas Safe registered inspector later checked the boiler and immediately identified it as dangerous.
Mr Nicholls was found guilty of breaching Regulations 3(1), 3(3) and 27(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was sentenced to 300 hours of community service to be completed over 12 months and ordered to pay costs of £2,280.
HSE inspector Ian Whittles, said:
"It is illegal and dangerous to carry out gas work without being a member of the Gas Safe Register, and the public should always check fitters are registered before any work is started.
"Incorrectly fitted or repaired boilers put lives at risk. Do not be afraid to challenge your gas engineer and phone the Gas Safe Register to check they registered - you could be putting your life at risk if you don't."
Report Inappropriate Content